Lao PDR RHIYA Strategies
purpose of the RHIYA programme in the Lao PDR is to have contributed to
improved sexual and reproductive health practices, and improved utilisation
of sexual and reproductive health (SRH) services by young people in selected
areas of the Lao PDR.
- Increased political and community support for adolescent SRH interventions;
- Increased awareness and improved SRH knowledge and behaviour among youth
- Improved access to quality youth oriented sexual and reproductive health
- Enhanced technical planning and managerial capacity among Government
partners to provide appropriate, adolescent-friendly sexual and reproductive
health information and services
- Improved understanding of critical adolescent SRH issues in the Lao
The key beneficiaries will be adolescents living in Vientiane City, including
vulnerable youth such as bar girls, commercial sex workers and their clients,
as well as rural youth from 2 districts in each of the three southern
provinces of Saravane, Sekong, and Attapeu (covering a total of 60 villages).
Altogether four projects promoting adolescent reproductive health interventions
are being implemented. Activities include: training of young people in
ARH, Life Skills and peer education; promotion of youth friendly service
provision and counselling among service providers; increasing the capacity
of national partners to manage reproductive health programmes and to encourage
and value youth participation.